Sunday, June 24, 2012

Teaching in the Digital Age, Chapters 2-3

The book we're reading for the book study blog party is not exactly what I was expecting. But my surprise has been all good. Since I've been running a little behind in my reading, I read chapters 2-3 together. And I'm glad I did. The ideas and activities fit together perfectly.

Chapter 2 focuses on taking and using photographs in the classroom. Dr. Jean hosted this chapter and her recap gave me more to think about.

I use my camera all the time and take lots of photos. (You could probably guess from this blog!) As suggested in the book, I use photos to capture thinking and learning, especially things that are not permanent - like block structures or dramatic play or drawing on the dry erase boards.


I also try to review the photos so I can assess what is working in the classroom...and maybe what is not. Sometimes seeing how kids are using materials helps me see what needs to be done a little differently. Photos also remind me of things we've done in the past and I want to try again. Or record how well something worked.


We share photos with parents. Sometimes we use photos in projects for kids to take home (such as making a frame and including a photo). At the end of the year, we send home a CD with photos of what the child has done all year. (Each child gets a personalized CD.)

Chapter 3 focuses on using projectors in the classroom (and a lot of that chapter talked about photos, too). Matt hosted this chapter; his post reviews lots of details in this chapter.

I've never used a projector or document camera in my classroom - but after this chapter I definitely would like to try one out. I like the idea of using projectors to show books or other things to larger groups of kids. The idea of projecting photos, other kids' work, and other objects for inspiration also intrigued me.


Here are a few things I want to try in the classroom:

  • Displaying photos of kids' block structures or drawings to inspire ideas in other kids.
  • Use photos of an activity for kids to recall what they did and how they did it. Maybe even create a sequence game with a series of photos.
  • Project a photo, drawing, or book page as a backdrop for kids' dramatic play.
  • Photograph a kid's drawing for a backdrop for further play (blocks or dramatic play).
  • Work out ways kids can take their own photos.
Lots of other ideas, too. I'm enjoying reading this book.

Here are some other links for these chapters--