Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Favorite Things: 5 Books I Love


I love picture books. I have to make myself get books from the library instead of purchase every book I like. (I have this problem with adult books, too.)

But picture books are so much fun and reading them with children is so enjoyable. I would say there's almost nothing like reading a book aloud to a group of kids and getting fun response and feedback. It was one of the things I really loved with second graders and first graders as well as my younger kids.

Here are just five of my favorites. (Choosing 5 was a challenge!)


Click, Clack Moo, Cows That Type by Doreen Cronin
Who doesn't love the idea of cows typing? Plus the art of negotiation and conflict resolution.


The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats
A boy enjoys a snowy day. This classic book is the standard for children's picture books.


Chrysanthemum by Kevin Henkes
A great book to use to talk about names. And to talk about differences and acceptance.


Fox in Socks by Dr. Seuss
My kids love this as a read aloud. The rhymes and the wordplay are such fun. Even if sometimes hard to read aloud.


The Three Little Wolves and the Big Bad Pig by Eugene Trivizas
A twist on the traditional story - the wolves build houses and the pig destroys them. (Even using dynamite at one point) But it all works out in the end.


What books do you love? I'm always on the lookout to add to my list.

More picture books (only a couple of duplicates!)